Subject: Re: A few quick questions...
To: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
From: billy ball <bball@tux.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/25/2001 13:44:45
On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

> So I have NetBSD up and running on my IBM z50, now...  I've installed the
> base packages, the compiler, X, and a few other apps (vim, bash, fvwm1,
> etc...)

yahoo! another z50 NetBSD user! let the fun begin...

[snip dhpc/nfs questions - don't use 'em]

> Finally, there are two apps that I'm looking for: rdate and fetchmail.

rdate should be included (i use it in my wireless net setup script)...

using:

$ man rdate

displays the manual page (section 8)... did you check your PATH setting?
you won't have the /usr/sbin in your PATH as a normal user (which i'm sure
you're aware of) nor can you set the system time using the command's -s
option (unless you have root access)...

> In the packages directory, there's a package for fetchmailconf, but
> nothing for fetchmail.  Downloading the source and compiling them is a
> possibility, but with the limited disk space, it's not an idea situation
> (especially since I'd now have to install a number of other GNU
> utilities).  Does anyone know of another POP3 mail retriever that's
> already packaged?

- i downloaded, then built fetchmail 5.90 from scratch on the z50 with:

# ./configure --disable-nls

- next, i edited fetchmail.c and inserted:

#undef HESIOD

- then performed:

# make install

- ran the app (after creating my .fetchmailrc w/proper perms):

$ fetchmail -a

(fetchmail complained about SMTP connection to localhost, but retrieved
the mail)

- next, as root:

# chown myusername /var/mail/myusername

- then as a regular user (to read the retrieved mail):

$ mail

- i then used mail to send a message from the command line to an account
on a remote server:

$ mail -s "hello there" bball@staffnet.com <mytextfile

YMMV, but it seems to work for me... note that you should normally have
your username and hostname on the z50 set correctly if you want to send
mail and people to be able to reply...

it's amazing how i was able to send mail with a spurious username and
domain through my one ISP: