Subject: A few quick questions...
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/25/2001 10:45:57
So I have NetBSD up and running on my IBM z50, now...  I've installed the
base packages, the compiler, X, and a few other apps (vim, bash, fvwm1,
etc...)

However, there are still a couple of things I'd like to get working and,
coming from a linux background, I could use some tips...

First, there's an application under linux called dhcpcd, which grabs an IP
address for a computer.  This app doesn't seem to exist under NetBSD, but
instead there's an app called dhclient.  Even after reading the man pages,
I still don't seem to have a good grasp of what I'm doing...

I'm trying:

# dhclient ne0

Except that doesn't seem to be working :-)  I know the dhcp server is
running because other machines can get their IP address from it (as can
WinCE on the z50).

Second, I'm running out of disk space, so I'd like to mount another
machine via NFS...  The NFS server is running on my primary machine at
home (and I can mount it from other machines), but this is what I'm
getting:

#  mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/home /sorrow/home/
mount_nfs: can't access /home: Protocol not supported

I've changed

nfs_client=NO

nfs_client=YES

in the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file...  So I'm now thinking that the kernel
just doesn't support NFS.  Can anyone tell me if this is true (or if I'm
just doing something wrong)?

Finally, there are two apps that I'm looking for: rdate and fetchmail.
In the packages directory, there's a package for fetchmailconf, but
nothing for fetchmail.  Downloading the source and compiling them is a
possibility, but with the limited disk space, it's not an idea situation
(especially since I'd now have to install a number of other GNU
utilities).  Does anyone know of another POP3 mail retriever that's
already packaged?

Thanks :-)

Adam