Subject: Re: ne2000 driver problem.
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/21/2001 22:32:11
I use a Linksys EC2T NE2K clone. there were some problems with the stock
pocketbsd kernel (complained about corrupt NIC memory and short packet
length); but not in the new kernel (the one DL'ed from
http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~gl2hughe/hpcmips/). I suspect it's
just a bug that's been fixed in newer kernels. Now that pocketbsd is based
on 1.5.2, the problem should be gone for good.

the major problem with this card, is that it has a huge dongle on it. the
dongle has connectors for BNC as well as UTP; so it's pretty big & ugly. I
got it as part of a package deal along with the z50, tho. :)

given the choice, I'd go with an Etherlink III. I tried one out a while ago;
and it worked great. I've seen them for sale for $30 or so, including
dongle. (the dongle is the valuable bit... everyone breaks them; so there's
about twice as many etherlink IIIs in the world now, as there are dongles to
connect them to things). ;>

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer