Subject: Re: Updating a flash
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/21/2001 18:41:05
> I just went to update my 1.5 vintage flash to something newer.  I can
> build the latest -current, but when I try to install it, it builds an
> image that is much larger than the 64M flash part I have my current
> system on.
>
> Is there a good way to do these upgrades?  Or should I hit ebay for a
> 340M disk?  Or one of the many larger flash parts that are available?

I'm pretty sure I've seen 512MB flash disks advertised in magazines.

the easiest thing to do is use the 'pocketbsd' distribution which Mr.
Ebihara makes. if you have something that you like, compiled already; the
pocketbsd ftp directory (on ftp.netbsd.org) has a couple of .txt files which
list all the files he excluded from the regular distribution.

even after installing etc.tgz, kernel.tgz, base.tgz, bin-sbin-dynamic.tgz
and comp.tgz; it only takes about 46MB on my disk.

I've been thinking about making a more heavily customized distribution than
pocketbsd, tho; something using the same concepts as tomsrtbt
(www.toms.net), where a lot of system tools are re-implemented as lua
scripts, with rather reduced functionality (tho still operating generally as
expected).

does anyone know if busybox will compile on netbsd? dietlibc? these were
originally intended for embedded linux use; but are also useful on small
systems.

obviously they can't go into a regular distribution, since busybox and
dietlibc are GPL'ed (I think). but as I understand it, there wouldn't be a
problem with me creating a small mini-distribution and including them.

a friend of mine has a z50 with 32MB of flash; it'd be nice to make a fairly
funxtional distro that would fit nicely on his machine.

has anyone netbooted one of these things? any advice on doing so?

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises