Subject: FTP installation
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: PacoBell <pacobell@runbox.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/09/2001 22:06:50

Call me clueless, but I'm having a bit of trouble fetching the
install sets from the netbsd ftp. I'm running a TRENDnet TE-CF100
compact flash 10/100 ethernet adapter on my Workpad Z50 with 48MB RAM
and a 520MB Callunacard PCMCIA hdd. First off, is the TE-CF100 even
supported under netbsd? When sysint kicks in, the link status lights
on the card become inactive. By the by, I'd gladly download the sets
directly to the hdd, but it seems to be exhibiting some sector errors
as of late, hence my need to experiment with the ftp method.

After selecting "ftp" as the medium, I'm posed with this statement:

"I have found the following network interfaces: ne0
Which device shall I use? [ne0]: "

- From this, I can only assume that this card is NE2000 compatible. I
go ahead with what it suggests and it then says:

"To be able to use the network, we need answers to the following:
Network media type:
Your DNS domain:
Your host name:
Your IPv4 number:
IPv4 Netmask [0xff000000]:
IPv4 gateway:
IPv4 name server:

Perform IPv6 autoconfiguration?"

Here's where I am at a loss as to what to input. "Network media
type"? What exactly do I enter for ethernet? Also, my network is not
run on a domain, but on DHCP. Therefore, isn't my IP address,
netmask, and name server irrelevant? Is the IPv6 info necessary for
downloading the sets? Any insights into this whole area would be
greatly appreciated. It then prompts:

"What directory shall I use for ftp? [/usr/INSTALL]: "

I just chose the default. This is followed by:

"The following is the ftp site, directory, user, and password
currently ready to use. If 'user' is 'ftp', then the password is not
needed.

host:		ftp.netbsd.org
directory:	pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5U/hpcmips/binary/sets
user:		ftp
password:

Change

a: Host
b: Directory
c: User
d: Password
e: Get Distribution"

I told it to "Get Distribution", but my card's link status lights
were still inactive at this point and I got this result:

"ftp: No address associated with hostname
ftp: Can't connect or login to host 'ftp.netbsd.org'

Ftp detected an error. Press <return> to continue

Ftp could not retrieve a file. Do you want to try again?"

After refusing to try again, I am unable to re-install the sets and
am forced to reboot the machine. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. The TE-CF100 seems to work perfectly after installing its
drivers for CE, but not with WinCE's default NE2000 drivers.

Sincerely,

Mike Trieu