Subject: palm-sized hardware for mobile project
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org, port-hpcmips@netbsd.org, port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/20/2001 21:06:23
(We seem to lack a general hpc-list, hence the crosspost. apologies)

I may be getting involved in developing a mobile application for a
fairly visible place in Finland. The specs on the project are very
loose, so basically the hardware/technology is under my discretion.
Naturally I'd like to use NetBSD, not only because of the publicity
value, but also because I don't want to use WinCE ;)

I'm trying to find a suitable PalmPilot-type PDA now. Any idea what
piece would best fit the following:

* stable NetBSD support (for some value of stable, doesn't matter if
  -current)
* palmtop-sized
* capable of running a web browser. text mode if necessary, though X
  would be a great bonus. basically this is saying that there has to be
  some way of controlling the browser, not asking for a specific piece
  of browser software
* serial port
* grayscale display is enough

following would be bonuses:
* scalable fonts
* cheap (many units will be deployed)
* pcmcia for wlan (or optionally working irda ;)
* java

Any input greatly appreciated,
  Antti

(please cc me, as I'm on none of the lists)

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>          v          Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/             i            http://www.NetBSD.org/