Subject: Re: hpcmips on C-Series
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?St=E9phan=20BERNARD?= <stephan.bernard@clermont.cemagref.fr>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/01/2001 12:00:45
Hi,

I wanted to try netBSD on my C-Series (2010C), which is quite the same as the
800C except that it has 20Mb of memory and a colour screen (and much less
battery life time).

I have also a 130Mb ATA-Flash memory card, but I didn't succeed to install
netBSD on it. My problem is that I didn't understand the installation
procedure. Unfortunately, I lack time so I gave up.
It would be great if someone could take a little time to write briefly how we
can do a basic installation. The problem of the installation procedure
described in the hpcmips distribution is that it looks it has been copied
from a generic installation procedure, and modified for hpcmips. But a lot of
questions have no answer.

Here's a description of what I've done, and some questions :

- First, I have to format my ATA-Flash card. I need 1 DOS partition for
storing psdboot.exe when I reboot my 2010C, and some little programs I use
with winCE (but I hope I won't use them any more when netBSD is installed).
To do this, I used a laptop with a pcmcia port. This laptop uses windows NT,
and I cannot reformat it because this laptop is shared with my collegues. So
I created installation diskettes from the i386 distribution, and boot from
them.
No problems for partitionning and formating the ATA card, except that it asks
me the number of cylinders, etc.... that I don't know and I didn't find this
information over the web. So I used the proposed values. But after this, the
DOS partition I created looks unreadable, with WinNT and winCE also.

- Then, I'd like to uncompress and copy the packages. Here's the main
problem. My network card (3com !) is not recognized... The install program
cannot read the NTFS formatted local disk. It's written that it's possible to
make diskettes containing the distribution sets, but I don't understand how
we can copy 12Mb files onto a 1,44Mb floppy....

- Another way is to run the installation process directly from my 2010C. But
since the pcmcia port contains the ATA card, I cannot use a network pcmcia
card. The only way to communicate is the com port (or the buit-in "modem").
It's also impossible to copy the sets onto the winCE "disk" because the
memory is cleared by psdboot.

This is the state I reached when I gave up. Another way to try is to copy the
distribution sets onto the ATA (if I succeed to read this #!!@ DOS partition)
and run the installation process from the 2010C. But that way, I'll be short
on disk space. I'd like to have a C-compiler, a text editor (vi, why not ?
emacs is a little bit big...) and a simple X server. No matter if there isn't
any helpfile and if the communication abilities are limited to file transfer.
Are 130Mb enougth for this ?

Any help would be welcome, to help me become one more tester....

Stéphan BERNARD

--
Stéphan BERNARD	(+33) 473 44 07 25	stephan.bernard@cemagref.fr
LISC/CEMAGREF - 24 av. des Landais, BP 50085 - 63172 Aubière Cedex