Subject: Re: Battery drain
To: Mark Wutka <mark@wutka.com>
From: katsumi liquer <katsumi@decepticonz.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/08/2001 10:05:24
Yes .. this has happened to me before too -- my guess is this; in WindowsCE, when the primary battery dies it automatically seems to shutdown to conserve backup battery power. I had initially guessed this was some automatic hardware thing, but I am going to guess that it is actually software initiated. NetBSD doesn't seem to have too much information about the battery state, and I have no functional APM tools. I just carry the AC adaptor around and don't leave it unplugged for long periods of time :)

One thing which does help, however -- if you are using a PCMCIA nic card, before you suspend disable the card by doing 'ifconfig ne0 down' ( or whatever interface you have ). The netbsd pages specify that this is supposed to help, but I can't find verification for HPCmips ( it does seem to give me more battery time though ). This is one thing I think would be cool to get working -- just a tool to do a suspend which is actually equivalent to a CE suspend ( those could last forever, so I know their must be a difference! )

katsu