Subject: Re: X on NEC780
To: Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
From: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/20/2001 10:00:29
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Adam Laurie wrote:

> George Sollish wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Adam Laurie wrote:
> >
> > > ok, for my next stoopid question... i've seen mention of people using X
> > > on the NEC on this list, and have installed the x binaries, but i can't
> > > for the life of me find any XF86Config file (or config utilities) on the
> > > machine, the web or CVS - i realise it's probably right under my nose
> > > but it's driving me nuts - can someone put me out of my misery and point
> > > me in the right direction?
> >
> > One of the joys of Xhpc is that there is no 86 to config -- after
> > stumbling around for a bit looking for one (like you I thought there must
> > be a config file somewhere) I finally punched 'startx' and it 'just
> > worked'.
>
> kewl!
>
> > I don't have 780 here, but I think you still need a link from X
> > to Xhpc -- maybe that's missing?
>
> nope -
>
>   lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        4 Apr  8 21:11 X -> Xhpc

Apologies for not being on top of things this morning, but IIRC the
Xserver needs to run on ttyE0 and that's not activated by default on the
780 install.  There was a post in the archives that contained this tip --
try searching for Xhpc.

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer		Auto Gear Equipment
			Host			Classic FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		The Payne Lake Project