Subject: Re: Floppy Image Size
To: Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
From: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/06/2001 08:33:07
On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Joe Abley wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 02:30:40PM -0400, George Sollish wrote:
> > The hpcmips port works great on my MobilePro 780, but I've got some old
> > dos programs to run and installed bochs from pkgsrc to run them (works
> > fine on my i386-1.5).  Everything looks promising, but when I downloaded
> > the drdos floppy images to load into the bochs vm, instead of the expected
> > 1474560, they size at 1474979 and bochs gags.  Is this a known problem
> > with a workaround?
>
> Doesn't bochs rely on the host CPU being i386?

I thought about that, but I'm not getting that far -- the floppy images
are being mangled before they get to bochs, not after.

Re your point, bochs starts and crashes trying to read the floppy boot
image.  If it were sized properly I'd agree that bochs needs the i386 cpu
to run; as it is, I'm not sure.  As I understand it, bochs is a virtual
machine, not an emulator, so I was thinking it might work on a mips
platform.

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer		Auto Gear Equipment
			Host			Classic FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		The Payne Lake Project