Subject: Questions regarding hpcmips hardware
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/05/2001 03:31:56
Hello BSDaemons,

  I plan to buy an NEC MobilePro, probably via ebay, specifically for use
with NetBSD.  In viewing the "supported hardware" section of the NetBSD
HPCMIPS port web page, it seems that the NEC MobilePro 770 works well
with NetBSD. That is, the MP 770 has (4) 'Y' marks, as follows:

        Boot: Y
        PCIC: Y
        Keymap: Y

  The MB-780 looks like it may be the same machine but with a faster CPU.
However it's listing has no 'Y' for X-Server.  Does this mean that X-Windows will
run successfully on the MP-770 but not yet on the MP-780 ?

  The MB-800 and MB-880 have no 'Y' for Keymap and none for X-Server.
Does this mean that I must do something special to get NetBSD to recognize
keystrokes on these machines?  Also, does it mean that X-Windows will not
work yet?

  Finally, I am looking to do this to gain some experience with NetBSD on
other than Intel CPUs, and also would like to have a small, lightweight,
relatively rugged NetBSD machine that I can use for Internet access when
away from the office.  I am looking to buy an NEC MobilePro 770 on ebay,
but am open to anything that might be more suitable.
  Any suggestions, recommendations, or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty Cawthon
ChipChat