Subject: RE: z50/Microdrive (was E100/Microdrive)
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
From: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/08/2001 10:27:50
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Steven Sartorius wrote:

> I have a z50 with an original 340MB Microdrive.  I installed much the way you
> described (small dos partition with bootloader and install kernel) but I
> grabbed the installation sets via ftp.  This was back in the 1.5beta days but
> I've since updated my kernel and userland to 1.5Q (cross-compiled on a i386
> box).  Are you installing the 1.5 release?  Did your devices get made by
> sysinst?
>
> I'm very happy with my z50 -- the most portable system I've ever owned and you
> can pack a surprising amount of stuff in 340MB (perl,python...).  Hope you get
> it working!

The z50 I tried went back to the store I got it from -- from what you're
saying it sounds like the problems I was having with squirrely WinCE boots
and no /dev/console in NetBSD were hardware related, so returning it was a
good thing.  Perhaps I should shop for another -- everything about it
(other than not fitting in my pocket) seemed to meet my requirements.

For the record, I was installing 1.5-release, and I did try both NFS and
FTP installs -- no difference.  I don't recall any errors when sysinst
built the devices (I've done many i386 installs -- I would've noticed, I
think).

Thanks for your help and advice.

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer		Auto Gear Equipment
			Host			Classic FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		The Payne Lake Project