Subject: Re: E100/Microdrive
To: Marc Rogers <marcr@shady.org>
From: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/07/2001 11:33:00
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Marc Rogers wrote:

>    Some people were talking about modifying the newton keyboard for
> use with this kind of device, but other than that the only way to access
> a handheld device such as this, when it is running netbsd is to log into
> the serial port.
>
>    Also im not clear as to what you mean by native. If you mean that netbsd
> is or can be the primary os, booted from eprom then as far as I am aware this
> has only been acomplished with testboards. All commercial handheld devices are
> booted into netbsd via the botloader. Some can be booted automatically by
> placing the bootloader within the autoexec directory appropriate to that
> particular architecure.

I spent a less-than-enjoyable weekend trying to install 1.5 on a z50 and
WinCE never booted or found the same hardware three times running.  I was
hoping to sidestep Redmond entirely.  Not really essential if it works
otherwise.

>   You should also bear in mind that the older microdrives wont work too well in older
> handhelds. They need too much juice. This problem was overcome with the newer models
> (i have no problem with the 1 gig microdrive in any of my devices).

Left over from that z50 exercise I have a new Microdrive.

> What are you trying to achieve?

Maximum portability for use in the arctic (Its a long story).  Sounds like
a unit with a keyboard is still required.  Any suggestions?

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer		Auto Gear Equipment
			Host			Classic FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		The Payne Lake Project