Subject: Re: MobilePro 400
To: Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/04/2001 10:25:37
In message <20010304123902.B217@bug.ucw.cz> Pavel Machek writes:
: Anyway, if you directly-map memory read/write from linear flash, you
: are likely to wear it out, too. (Altrough it may save problems for
: read-only mappings).

It is readonly when you do this, unless you go through the really
complicated programming sequence.  I'd planned on doing readonly
mappings.

: Also speed is likely to be bad: PCMCIA was ISA last time I saw.

Yes.  But the memory speed on these systems is on the order of 16MHz,
iirc.

: > One might also want to consider SRAM cards, but these are expensive as
: > well and I've not seen more than 2MB for a SRAM card.
:
: OTOH you can use them r/w without killing them fast.

Yes.  That's why they are so useful.  they are even persistant.

Warner