Subject: usability of netbsd on hpc's like mobilepro 750+?
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: MikeH <hormel@usa.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/04/2001 00:44:28
Hi,

I've been reading throught the NetBSD for hpc-mips faq's as well as archives
of this list.  It seems people have done quite a job porting it over.
However, I still have a general question:

How usable is NetBSD on a machine like a MobilePro770/780?

I realize "usable" varies per person.  But I wonder, can you at least get a
basic non-X install going where you can use the HPC as a good portable
system for network troubleshooting (ssh, telnet, ftp, dhcp client, etc)?
Can you compile network tools such as nmap?

If you do install X, does it run well enough to make it worthwhile to run
(as opposed to running in text mode with good old vi)?

Or at this point, is the port more along the lines of a fun experiment, to
see if it can be done?

Thanks for any info/advice,
Mike Hirota

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com