Subject: Re: usability of netbsd on hpc's like mobilepro 750+?
To: MikeH <hormel@usa.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/03/2001 22:48:50
In message <386863469.978587068772.JavaMail.root@web582-mc> MikeH writes:
: How usable is NetBSD on a machine like a MobilePro770/780?

Relatively.

: I realize "usable" varies per person.  But I wonder, can you at least get a
: basic non-X install going where you can use the HPC as a good portable
: system for network troubleshooting (ssh, telnet, ftp, dhcp client, etc)?

Yes.  No problems.  I used mine, a little, at BSDcon to login to home
with ssh.

: Can you compile network tools such as nmap?

I think so.

: If you do install X, does it run well enough to make it worthwhile to run
: (as opposed to running in text mode with good old vi)?

Maybe.  The screen on the 780 is awful small.  I have several
terminals running on my X server that give a few more lines than in
text mode.

: Or at this point, is the port more along the lines of a fun experiment, to
: see if it can be done?

I can build the entire port with my machine.  I can also do intersting
and useful things.  But you may need lots of disk space.  128M CF
should be plenty, 64M CF might work, but my 48M CF is real tight (so I
use a CF to boot, but switch to a 2G IDE disk and a CF ethernet card).

Warner