Subject: Re: Is the VR4122 supported yet??
To: Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
From: TAKEMURA Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/29/2000 16:01:04
----- Original Message -----
From: "Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To: "Devin Butterfield" <dbutter@wireless.net>
Cc: <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2000 12:36 PM

> In message <3A4C0310.4800B6DA@wireless.net> Devin Butterfield writes:
> : I was interested in buying a Casio EM-500 with the hopes of trying
> : NetBSD on it, but it would seem that it is using the VR4122 chip. Is
> : this chip supported yet? Is there any work in progress to support this
> : chip?
>
> >From my limited looks at the datasheet, it should just work. Modulo
> the normal things: video, sound, modems, etc.
>
> However, last time this question came up takemura-san said that he
> hadn't received reports of anyone actually having botted NetBSD on
> PocketPC.  But I can't recall if that means that someone had tried and
> failed or just that no one has tried.

I've failed:-(

I have a Pocket PC Cassiopeia E-700, which is very similar to EM-500.
Please see http://www.casio.co.jp/pocketpc/e700.

The bootloader stop with message 'Creating memory map...'.

There are two problems:

  - NetBSD/hpcmips isn't tested on Vr4122.
  - Pbsdboot doesn't work on PocketPC.

Takemura