Subject: A possibility to use old microdrive on MP770 or MP800
To: port-hpcmips@netbsd.org <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Josef Kormann <josefkormann@compuserve.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/06/2000 06:03:01
Hello out there,

many thanks to Jun Ebihara. With his rmfiles... suggestions i was able to=

setup
a versatile travel-installation on a CF-Card.

Thinking about having more space to use a fullsize installation i've
created a filesystem
on an IBM Microdrive DMDM-10340. (extra partition wd0e for /usr)
People who subscribed to this mailinglist know already that the vr-kernel=

has problems
with probing the old Microdrive during the startup process in a MobilePro=

770
and mounting / on it. (NetBSD Problem Report #11049)

But it looks like there is one possibility to use the microdrive in these=

machines:

1. Insert a CF-Card with a netbsd filesystem into CF-Slot. (i've also
created extra partition for /usr)
/etc/fstab should look like this:
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/wd2e /usr ffs rw 1 2
/dev/wd0f msdos rw 0 0
/kern /kern kernfs rw

2. insert the microdrive into a CF to PCMCIA adaptor but don't push it in=
the pcmcia slot (yet)
3. Load the kernel with pbsdboot and pay attention on the messages.
4. When the kernel found the CF-Card and tries to mount / on wd0a insert
the PCMCIA-Adaptor with
the microdrive into the pcmcia-slot.

On my MP770 it worked and i think it is a good idea to use microdrive onl=
when extra space is needed.
I also hope that this helps on finding a workaround for the vr-kernel to
mount the Microdrive as / when
booting up.
After making friend with my developing environment i'm also trying to tak=
a closer look onto vr-Sources.

Bye
Josef Kormann (still newbie)
at work: