Subject: Microsoft tries again
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/06/2000 17:03:22
FYI.  Looks like it isn't Windows CE any more, but rather Handheld PC
2000!  Oh joy, let's change the name, yea, that's the ticket.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2709838.html?tag=st.ne.1002.tgif.ni

Selected quotes:
	Just as with the Pocket PC, the Handheld PC 2000 is
	Microsoft's brand name for both the underlying operating
	system and the entire product line that will be released by
	Hewlett-Packard, NEC and MainStreet Networks.
	a regular, 18- to 24-month release cycle

These machines are evidentally used heavily in some vertical markets,
according to the story.

This means that we'll see NEC continue to trot out more MIPS machines,
likely based on the newly announced Vr4122.  I didn't see anything new
on either the Japanese page or the US page.  Sadly, I couldn't seem to
get to the Mobile Gear pages on the Japanese pages at all, so I don't
know what that means.

Now, I have no clue if they will actually make enough money to make
this a viable business, but it seems that it just won't die.  They
certainly are making it hard to own one of each type of machine that
NetBSD/hpcmips will run on :-).

Warner