Subject: Re: New handheld
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/16/2000 18:24:00
On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> This is a Vr4181 based machine.  the display is tiny (240x160x16g) and
> there's not much memory (8MB), but it does come with between 2 and 8MB of flash
> memory, has LinuxVR installed by default.   The CPU is slow at 66MHz.

  Unfortunately, it looks like it doesn't have PCMCIA or CF, so it would
likely not be very useful.

> It doesn't say if the Linux VR sources for this thing are included or not.

  On the developer page there is a source link, though it isn't set up
properly at the moment.

> Starting at $150 it seems like a nice, inexpensive hacking platform.  There'd
> need to be some work for NetBSD/hpcmips to run on it, I think.

  Well, you would need a linux boot loader.  I can't imagine the 4181 is
that much different from the other Vr chips (though the NEC website does
not seem to have docs on it).  It doesn't look like it has much else in
it.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net