Subject: Re: X on 100MBish cards, was Re: Looking for advice on hpc models?
To: None <cubes@pipeline.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/10/2000 03:06:15
> 	Are you going through any special installation process?  I recall Todd
> Whitesel's post: CF and my z50. Rants, Raves, tips, and tricks, which
> describes a somewhat convoluted process to fit a full installation onto
> 192MB card.  Is anything like that necessary?  Thanks.

If you want to fit all of the distribution tarballs, yes. However most people
can get by without 'misc' and the X fonts can be trimmed somewhat without
losing much. Many people can do without other bits, like games and xcomp.

The minute you leave a couple tarballs uninstalled, 192 "MB" is easy to
install on. It really is the breakeven point for hpcmips, I think. Note
that (on the z50) the 32 meg RAM upgrade is vital, because it means you
can get away with a tiny swap partition whose main purpose is to silence
the warnings that come from having no swap partitions.

Beware though; with 1.5 things are getting bigger, and there really seems
to be a spike in the number of programs included with X11, to the tune of
about 8 megs if I remember right. This will show up the next time someone
builds a 1.5_ALPHA snapshot.

The 300 "MB" CF cards are available for about $2/meg on buy.com these days.
So if you can afford the $600 price tag, you can definitely fit a full
system, plenty of packages, and a fair amount of personal data on one card.

I'm holding out for the 400/500 MB cards to be available this way before I
upgrade my original z50. (I just got a second z50 on Ebay! Whee. It'll be
a build machine soon, and spare parts in case my primary z50 ever dies.)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com