Subject: Re: Looking for advice on hpc models?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/09/2000 17:21:18
In message <200008092256.PAA03267@champagne.dsg.stanford.edu> Jonathan Stone writes:
: I'd prefer a palm-size formfactor rather than subnotebook.

True Ppc units are problematic.  They have no keyboard and I'm not
sure that xscribble from handhelds.org has been ported to NetBSD yet.
In addition, most of them have only one slot, so you get network or a
root file system.  If that's OK, read on.

: The other item I'd really like is audio. the laptop I have has a
: Yamaha audio chip which isn't yet supported.  Several of the models
: on the hpcmips page list audio capability. On which (if any) of the
: US-available models, does NetBSD support audio?

Can't say about this one.  I like my subnotebook form factor of the
MobilePro 780 (well, I have the Japanese version MC/R430).  It is
light, supports two slots and can easily run and build NetBSD/hpcmips
(easily doesn't mean fast: expect to wait 15 hours for a make build).
It allows for both flash and etherent at the same time.  I get about 4
hours of battery life with a IDE hard drive connected, and about 14
hours when I use only CF.

You can't buy a CF large enough to do development on these boxes, but
a 100MBish (92 or 128) part will give you a nice portable X terminal
with ssh and a few other goodies.  The 64MB parts are just a little
too small to get X running on them right now.  The X server for the
itsy might be a good place to look at gettnig X on the box, since it i
sonly about 1.3M rather than the 8MB that the current server + Xlib
takes up.

Warner