Subject: Cross compiling
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 07/27/2000 16:35:02
Is it possible to use a FreeBSD machine to build hpcmips binaries (do
a make build)?  I have two screaming x86 boxes that run FreeBSD and
I'd love to be able to do a make build in about 1.5 hours rather than
in about 20-30 hours.  At least it takes FreeBSD about 1.5 hours to
build on these boxes.

I have set UPDATE to make things go faster (as well as NOPROFILE) on
the build.  However, two recent changes to /usr/include/stdio.h have
forced almost all files to be rebuilt, taking 20-30 hours.

At least the extra 16MB of RAM has helped quite a bit.  It dropped the
build time from 35 hours down to about 24 hours the one time I did a
complete, non UPDATE build.

I looked briefly into the cross building in
/usr/pkgsrc/corss/mipsel-netbsd, but wasn't sure it would work on
FreeBSD.  Should I try it out?

Warner