Subject: Re: pbsdboot booting compressed images; pbsdboot for ce1.0?
To: TAKEMURA Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 07/06/2000 00:52:12
Hi!

> > Now I tried CVS versions 1.9, 1.4, 1.1 of pbsdboot1.exe (uuencoded
> > from the webpage), and all of them fail exactly with same message:
> >
> > Application pbsdboot1.exe has performed an illegal operation and will
> > be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.
> >
> > Program: pbsdboot1.exe
> > Exception: 0xc0000005
> > Address: 0x00000000
> >
> > Notice that these are Windows CE Version 1.0 [Build 713-713], that is
> > not version 1.01. (Can it matter?)
>
> May be...
>
> Is the machine Velo 1?

Yes.

> I built the pbsdboot1.exe with Windows CE toolkit for VC++ 5.0.
> With which I could choose build target Windows CE 1.01 or 2.00.
> The binary which build for Windows CE 1.01 might not work on
> Windows CE 1.0. I know that there was ancient toolkit, which was
> called VC++ for Windows CE, though I have never seen it. A
> program which compiled with the ancient toolkit might work on your
> machine...

I'll try to get someone with that toolkint. I know few programs
(registry editor, ftp server) run nicely on ce1.0, so there must be
few such toolkits out there.

> > Same binaries should work well under CE version 2.0 on same hardware
> > (tested with CVS version 1.9), but CE version 2.0 are unusable for
> > other reasons.
>
> I feel like I heard of 'the other reasons' before. What's the matter? I
> think you can pull out CF card containing CE image from the slot and
> insert other one in boot sequence. Or you may put Windows CE 2.0
> image and NetBSD image into one CF. Is this impossible?

I do not know about putting NetBSD and CE2.0 onto one CF (obvious
disadvantage is 8MB wasted on flashcard).

Exchanging CF cards on the fly is possible, however it does not solve
booting problem. Boot would look like:

Put CE2.0 flashcard in. Turn it on. Download kernel over 3K/sec serial
line (yes, ce2.0 are that slow; ce1.0 are twice as fast) - that is 15
minutes. Boot real OS, exchange cards. But boot still takes 15
minutes! (It is obviously impossible to remove flashcard with ce2.0
while ce2.0 are running). My primary problem is boot taking too
long.
								Pavel
--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."