Subject: Latest hpcmips progress on z50...
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Steve K <skrul@yahoo.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/19/2000 13:55:31
Hey all, here is an update of my progress --

- Turns out the 3COM CF1 compact flash ethernet card doesn't work with the
current kernel, so I got the Zircom CompactCard Ethernet 10:

http://www.xircom.com/cda/page/0,1298,0-0-1_1-316,00.html

... and it was worked perfectly.  It has a better dongle than the 3COM (stays
in better, has lights and stuff), and it is supported by CE's built in NE2000
drivers, plus it comes with a PCMCIA adapter.

- Sorta following the directions from

    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcmips/install.txt

... i paritioned my CF card and installed NetBSD.  A few problems with the
documentation:

    - it seems to say you should wind up with a 5MB MSDOS partition... i used
the exact settings for the partition table and wound up with a 2MB MSDOS
partition.

    - i was unable to mount the msdos partition, later i realized that it had
to be formatted before i could mount it (duh).  I think i did a newfs
/dev/wd0e, and when CE finally got a hold of it, it created all these .chk
files on it.  strange.

    - since the msdos partition was only 2MB, I couldn't fit the kernel image
on it.  however, the docs seems to mention that you can have pbsdboot.exe read
the image from the ffs partition on the CF card.  Is this true?  I tried
ffs:/netbsd as the path to the image but it couldn't find it.  Any help on
this?

That's about it so far, I got it up and running in multiuser mode, was able to
telnet to it, etc.  Very cool.

Next step is to try to NFS mount some storage and build a new kernel!

-steve