Subject: Re: Figuring out framebuffer settings for Clio 1050
To: Joe Abley <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: TAKEMURA Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 05/02/2000 16:21:03
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Abley" <jabley@automagic.org>
To: <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 8:14 AM

> Hi,
>
> How do people generally go about discovering the correct framebuffer
> settings for an HPC which is not listed in pbdsboot?
>
> The Vadem Clio 1050 has a 640x480x16bit display. I have tried
>
>   Width: 640
>   Height: 480
>   Type: D16_FFFF
>   Address: A000000
>   Bytes/line: 640
>   ID: 04104200 01010101
>
> which is a very slight perversion of the Clio 1000 settings (I changed
> the type from D8_FF to D16_FFFF). However, I don't really know what I
> am doing, which is making things difficult :)

 - You can get width and height from product's manual or vendor's web
   site.
 - Choose D16_xxxx if your machine has 64K colors LCD.
   Don't care which you choose _FFFF/_0000.
 - Try values from A00 0000 to AFF FFFF (may be, to CFF FFFF) on
   address.

You may have to try many many times because address range is
very wide. I recomend you to setup serial console and write some
helper program, which repeats to map physical memory and fill it.
If you found some garbage on the LCD, you get it.
Please don't care about other settings until you find any garbage on
LCD.

That's not easy. But I don't have any other idea.

P.S.
If you found frame buffer settings please send me it. I will add an
entry to the menu.

Takemura