Subject: Re: wscons multi screen and X
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: TAKEMURA Shin <takemura@netbsd.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/23/2000 13:06:25
----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Whitesel" <toddpw@best.com>
To: "TAKEMURA Shin" <takemura@netbsd.org>
Cc: <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2000 11:37 AM

> >  - X expects a mouse with 3 buttons while many hpcmips machine
> >     have a touch panel.
>
> Yes. Others (workpad z50!) have only two buttons (PC mouse...)

I envy you for your z50. Z50 has no problem because z50 have two
buttons. It's enough!

> >   - It seems that wsmux does not work with X. It's broken.
>
> I believe this problem happens on other ports too. Probably there are
> fixes that we need to copy from i386 or another port.

I don't think so. Wsmux issue is compleately machine independent
and what is worse, it seems that no one take care of the issue.
In fact, alpha kernel is built w/o wsmux. I heard that if you boot
the kernel with wsmux, you can't use X on alpha.
I guess that i386 people utilize compatibilities with PCVT, SYSCONS
or RAWKBD for X and not depend on wsmux nor wskbd.

> >   - Current implementation of X of which source code we can use
> >     does not support 2bpp gray scale.
>
> Don't know what to do about this, but I prefer 16bpp mode so I don't
> mind... Are there hpcmips machines with only 2bpp ?

CASSIOPEIA E-10/55/65 and Some monochrome model of Mobile
Gear (Mobile Pro) have 2bpp frame buffer.

> >     X server behave a one of those screens and you can switch
> >     between X and other text screens.
> >     (This seems to be difficult to implement....)
> > Please tell me which you'd like and how it goes on other ports.
>
> On i386 it works. Some people have even run two X servers on different
> screens and used the multi screen functions to switch them. This is how
> they play Doom at 8bpp and use 32bpp desktop without quitting X.

How could I do that with wscons? Should I use COMPAT_PCVT
option in wscons? I feel like that we must not use COMPLAT_xxx....

Takemura