Subject: Re: hpcmips/netbsd and i386/linux?
To: Terry Mathews <tmathews@erinet.com>
From: Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/21/2000 15:30:57
> I've got a small problem. I have never been able to get NetBSD running in a
> manner that I can use on my machine. It just seems so much different from
> Linux, especially when it comes to the kernel. So, I need some help since
> the NetBSD port for hpcmips is much further along than the linux one.

Well, NetBSD was designed for cross-architecture portability, whereas
Linux was wedded to the x86 architecture from birth.  (Anyone here
remember when Linus used to say Linux couldn't be ported?  Or better,
have the quote somewhere?).

> A) Can someone point me to a good reference for NetBSD?

Unfortunately there is no book on NetBSD out there.  _The Complete
FreeBSD_, for all its problems, should be helpful for a Linux
user getting acquainted with *BSD, though the exact details will
often differ significantly from NetBSD.  For a good basic text in
Comparative Unixology, read Evi Nemeth's _Unix System Administration
Handbook_.

> B) Is it possible to configure all the hpcmips/netbsd stuff on an i386/linux
> box?

I'm not at all sure what this question means.  Do you mean build
a cross-compiler for NetBSD/hpcmips on Linux/i386?  I suppose, but
suspect it would be a formidable task.

---Alex

Carl Alexander                                                    KD7GUR
------------- MIT (where Alex hangs out):
xela@mit.edu      Course VI (sometime special student)    SIPB (prospective)
                  Mitgaard ("honorary mold")    MITSFS    LSC (night worker)
                  http://web.mit.edu/~xela
------------- Work (where they call me 'Carl'):
carl@terc.edu     Sr. Systems & Network Administrator, TERC
                  http://www.terc.edu