Subject: Re: NetBSD file system on z50
To: Terry Mathews <tmathews@erinet.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/20/2000 21:31:08
In message <001301bfab42$0574dfc0$6b775acf@dreamstar> "Terry Mathews" writes:
: OK. As it has been explained to me, the controller chip on the CF card is
: responsible for making it appear to have cylinders, heads, and sectors just
: like an IDE HD. However, it doesn't really work like that. As a matter of
: fact, there are extra memory areas built into the card. The controller chip
: doesn't always write to the same block. It knows how to vary the areas it
: writes to, to extend the life of the card.

I've tried to find out from the CF mfgs, and have been given
conflicting information about this.  Some say yes, CF cards do this,
others say they don't, so I don't know what to believe.  The DOC2k
chips definitely do, but that's a different form factor that I've had
lots or problems dealing with :-(.

Warner