Subject: NetBSD file system on z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: godwin <godwinchan@hotmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/20/2000 20:04:43
Hi all

I just had my computer science exam and it was about file systems. I had
this question that I had never considered.

    Is the file system used NetBSD currently is optimized for Flash? or it
doesn't really matter?

What I mean optimized is the factors like fragmentation etc. Well
considering something like my SanDisk 128.. it's way more expensive per
megabyte than any hard discs + there is a finite number of times we can
write to the cards (has anyone busted one of those cards yet?). So we would
want to minmize swapping and fragmentation right? But right now as far as I
can figure out Windows and even NetBSD just treat the CF cards as normal
hard discs right? On the upside flash is much faster access time than hard
discs, so what we consider long/ big overhead operations in hard discs would
be minimal in CF right?

I don't know enough about *NIX filesystem to comment, that's why I like to
find out! :-)

Thanks all

Godwin