Subject: Re: Current status of X and suspend?
To: None <jun@soum.co.jp>
From: RJ T <rjtonline@hotmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 04/12/2000 23:10:46
Hi!

I'm one of those /.'ers who saw the Feb 24th article on Slashdot about
hpcmips/LinuxVR and bought a super-cheap Workpad z50. I love it! But only
today did I receive the Compact Flash to go with it (Kingston CF/96). So, I
booted NetBSD and played around in the small kernel space. How great it was
to bring up vi on my Workpad! Unfortunately, I couldn't do much more than
that because I still have not received the PCMCIA Ethernet 10/100 (Xircom) I
bought for it--so, no connection except modem and serial port. (I bought a
SanDisk CF Reader USB but cannot find *NIX drivers for it; if I could I
would create my NetBSD partitions on my PC and lock& load...)

I really want this z50 to become my portable workstation. My needs are
simple; I'm a web service developer and use vi/vim to create html /
perl(mason) / javascript and (some more traditional languages for business
database rules). That's pretty much it. As long as I can SRP(telnet/ftp) I'm
good to go.

Anyway, I am a user, perhaps a bit advanced, but not a sysadmin nor anywhere
close to a kernel hacker. I may be stretching myself following so close to
the edge of experimental distributions, but ... the potential is too
exciting. Just to boot NetBSD tonight and get to the shell ... worth it. (I
must be sick).

- Robert Taylor

P.S. Any thoughts on removing the WinCE ROM??