Subject: Network / storage options - newbie
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Steve K <skrul@yahoo.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/08/2000 06:28:57
Hey all --

I am one of the many new owners of a deeply discounted z50 (Outpost.com $360,
missed the $300 days but still not too bad) and right now I have the 32MB
memory upgrade on backorder from IBM (IBM.com $100, backordered till
mid-March).  Now I need to get some network and storage stuff:

- First a more general question... is the CF slot really a PCMCIA slot in
disguise?  It seems like many CF cards can work in a PCMCIA slot with an
adapter.  Is this true?

- Someone on the list recommended a CF NIC which seems like a good idea, 3COM
makes one (the 3C1).  Is there a recommended one that works well with hpcmips?
Can the CF NIC be used in the PCMCIA slot with an adapter?

- I will also like to start out with a 128MB CF card, assuming hpcmips will
work with it plugged into the PCMCIA slot with the adapter.  Will this work?
Are there any recommended CF cards for hpcmips?

I would like to have the NIC and CF storage card interchangeable because I
could see myself hooked into the LAN (with the NIC in the CF slot and the CF
storage card in the PCMCIA slot), going mobile (CF storage in the CF slot and a
wireless LAN or modem in the PCMCIA slot), or developing (NIC in the CF slot
and some kind of disk storage in the PCMCIA slot).  Will this work?  I hope so
:)

FYI, there are a bunch of 520MB Type III PCMCIA hard drives (Calluna, Kingston,
ATOMLite) on eBay selling for around $140.

Thanks for any help,
-steve