Subject: Re: Install on IBM z50
To: None <jack@edgar.edmunds.com>
From: Jun Ebihara <jun@soum.co.jp>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/07/2000 01:31:37
From: Jack Cate <jack@edgar.edmunds.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:59:30 -0500

> I've only got what came with the base machine.

onboard 16M memory.ok.

> Do I need to purchase a CF or ATA card? If so - got any reccomendations?

for typical users.I recommended 128M CF.
I use 128M CF or 220M ATA in my pocket environment.
	base+etc+comp

80M-96M CF
	base+etc
	basical unix system available in your pocket.

less than 64M CF
	base+etc with delete large unuse files

15M CF
	north pole for living.some adventure living here.

For developers

developers needs Ethernet cards and Large disks.
typcal CE system has CF slot and PCMCIA slots.
assign CF to Ethernet card and PCMCIA to ATA/SCSI Interface.

CF Ethernet card
	Type1:
           Socket Communication CF Ether Cards
           TDK CF Ethernet Cards
        Type2:
           Zircom CF Ethernet Cards

z50 can use Type2 CF card.

SCSI Card

Adaptec SlimSCSI Card (PCMCIA Card,DO NOT PURCHASE CardBus version)
with any SCSI Disk works fine.

If you want to build NetBSD/hpcmips system from source file.
you have 2G SCSI Disks
If you want to build NetBSD/hpcmips system with all packages
from source file,5-10G Disks required.

some ATA-PCMCIA cards works fine,but I recommended SCSI system.

for z50 users:

z50 supports
   IBM microdrive
   TypeIII Harddrive
these are works fine.but costs too expensive.

--
jun ebihara