Subject: Re: Install on IBM z50
To: Ted Milker <tmilker@radiks.net>
From: Hans Huebner <hans@Huebner.ORG>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/02/2000 19:23:41
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Ted Milker wrote:

> I don't suppose you(or anyone else) knows of a PCMCIA slot for a desktop
> PC that works with NetBSD do you?

I admit that I did not try this myself, but given that the number of PCMCIA
controllers on the market is very limited and that most of them, by default,
run in Intel-compatible mode, most PCMCIA card bridges should work with
NetBSD.  If you try to get one, I'd recommend that you go the conservative
route and get one with an ISA interface though.

> I don't have access to a laptop that's
> running NetBSD, so I have no way to partition my CF card.  I've found one
> model so far, and that's the ESA-2000 by Eiger Labs, but I can't find any
> documentation saying that it's supported.

You do not strictly _need_ a laptop to do this, it could just make your life
much easier.  For a start, just fetch
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcmips/snapshot/20000208/binary/installation/{pbsdboot.exe,netbsd}
(from within Windows CE) and try to boot the installer.  If it boots,
recognizes your NIC and CF cards and does so without much delay, you might be
able to just install straight away.  Let us know.

-Hans

--
finger hans@huebner.org for details