Subject: Re: Problems on Clio...
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/06/2000 00:18:47
Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net> writes:
> When I tried it about a month ago, the fb worked perfectly every time
> but I couldn't find the pcic GPIO.  With source of a few days ago, it
> blanked the screen shortly after booting so I used the serial
> console.

This (screen blanked) is the state i always get, immediately after
clicking OK to the last chance dialog in pbsdboot.exe.  I've never
seen _anything_ on the console, though I do admit that i might have
screwed up the settings while trying to make it use 16BPP, though.

I've seen some weirdness with accessing the PCMCIA devices (with a
bogus IRQ set for the pcic...  i think i followed another example,
though i knew it was likely to be wrong and chose "9").  (How did you
find the PCIC gpio, anyway?)

The weird behaviour was that data being read from a CF ATA identify,
to get the CF card info, would be frobbed as follows:

in (at least) the text fields, byte strings that would be reported as
characters "XY" on another system with believed-correct operation were
reported by the boot message output as "YXYY".

I'll paste the bits tomorrow after i'm at work.  Sounds like something
screwy in bus-sizing or the ISA/PCMCIA bus configuration, or maybe the
compiler (i'm using the x86 -> mips cross tools listed on the web
site), but i know ~nothing about modern embedded mips processors...
("ask me about the sa1100, and i can tell you all that i've learned
from the data sheets and the tla704..."  8-)

cgd