Port-hpcarm archive

Re: More hpcboot memory/ELF loading errors?

Just a minute ago, I wrote:
Rafal Boni wrote:
Folks:
    I've been having a lot of trouble getting hpcboot to correctly
    load/boot much of anything on my iPAQ, and the symptoms look very
    much like the bug Uwe fixed about 2 years ago... looks like I'm
    running out of memory in the currently allocated region(s) and
    some page is either leaked into or overwritten because it's been
    handed out more than once.

My latest attempt has tossed the guard pages out the window and made the ELF symbol-loading machinery return better (read: more conservative) estimates of amount of memory required to load the symbols.

The issue appears to be that while the symbol header, symbol table and string table are all loaded in 3 separate passes, the size-estimation code returned the size of all 3 items as a single datum, ignoring the fact that each of those 3 components would need at least one page (and maybe more) to store the contents in the 'load chain'.

In case anyone is itching to try it out, an ARM hpcboot binary with this fix (and a bunch of other, unrelated changes), can be had at:
        ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/rafal/hpcboot.exe

--rafal