Subject: Re: hard icon touches and suspend improvements
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Kirk Meyer <gmane-hpcarm@kirkmeyer.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/25/2006 18:58:25
Peter Postma <peter <at> pointless.nl> writes:

> These have been in my tree for a while (for months actually), and work
> fine for me.
>
> 1) hard icon touch support, from hpcsh (mostly c/p'ed) but also with
>    support for raw kbd (for X).
>    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/peter/j720-tp-icons.diff
>
> 2) run MI suspend code when pressing the suspend button, most important
>    thing are the powerhooks, so pcmcia cards supporting those hooks will
>    be powered off (tested with ne(4) and an(4)).
>    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/peter/j720-pwr.diff
>
> Unless anyone has an objection, I'll commit them.

Greetings,

On the topic of power management, I did a simple hack with the NetBSD kernel so
that brightness/contrast is ok on reset, and then boots NetBSD again. See http:/
/kirk.modevia.com/100_0140.avi

Right now I keep pieces of CE in RAM by reducing NetBSD memory usage by 5MB -
4MB from the front of RAM and 1MB from the back (kernel is based at
0xC0400000). Actually not this much is needed to be reserved at all, but I
couldn't get the kernel to boot unless it was aligned to 4MB. Another
alternative is to restore these parts of RAM when shutting down / rebooting /
suspending (don't know if that would work with a hardware soft reset). If that
is done, it obviates the need for a partitioned CF as well.

This prevents a hard reset when it jumps to 0x0, so I think this probably has
implications for power management. It would still be necessary to convince it
to resume rather than soft reset, but I don't know enough about the NetBSD
kernel nor ARM architecture to play with it... Hope it helps someone who does!

Kirk Meyer