Subject: Re: Patch: Generic TODR for ARM ports
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/17/2006 23:28:47
On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 19:34:16 +0200, Peter Postma wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 08:05:13PM +0400, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 16:46:32 +0200, Peter Postma wrote:
> >
> > > I can add an RTC driver, but I'm not sure how useful that would be,
> > > the RTC value is invalid at boot-time
> >
> > hpcboot passes current time to the kernel as part of bootinfo.  It
> > will be off by several seconds by the time the kernel starts, but
> > that's still better than fs time.
> >

> Ok, but that will probably not help because netbsd is usually booted from
> factory defaults (because of the screen brightness bug), so the clock is
> then at 2000-01-01.

Ah, and kloader is not supported either.

BTW, I wonder if HaRET (http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/HaRET)
might be useful in tracking the brightness bug.

Does linux suffer from it?  Linux on 720 status page at
http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/HpJornada720 says that brightness
and contrast setting work.

> > BTW, why is RTC time invalid?
>
> The value is the uptime in seconds, even when the date is changed in
> windows CE. So it seems that windows CE doesn't use it at all...

Could it be that they use some other clock, e.g. in a companion chip?

Consulting Linux sources might be useful.  In the worst case there's
always objdump --disassemble-all :)

SY, Uwe
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen