Subject: Re: Patch: Generic TODR for ARM ports
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org,>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/17/2006 09:13:47
Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 16:46:32 +0200, Peter Postma wrote:
>

>> I can add an RTC driver, but I'm not sure how useful that would be,
>> the RTC value is invalid at boot-time
>>

> hpcboot passes current time to the kernel as part of bootinfo.  It
> will be off by several seconds by the time the kernel starts, but
> that's still better than fs time.
>
> BTW, why is RTC time invalid?
>
> SY, Uwe

If you read the messages, you will find out that the problem is that no
RTC driver is registered with the MI todr code.  It is likely that this
could be solved by adding an RTC driver which just uses the boot-info time.

Alternatively, for a port which gets the time passed in bootinfo, I can
see a case being made for #ifdef'ing out the warning messages in
kern_todr.c.   Please not that this case is very different from assuming
an NFS root mount is current -- one is probably a good assumption, while
the other might not be.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191