Subject: Jornada 720 / PCMCIA Slot
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Travis Poppe <tlp@liquidx.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 06/07/2006 00:58:52
Hello All,

While this is not a NetBSD-specific issue, I figured I might reach a fair
amount of Jornada users on this list who could perhaps provide some insight
into a problem I've been having recently.

While heading out the door, I accidentally dropped my Jornada. Since then,
PCMCIA slot has been flaky. The card I use (Orinoco Silver) would be
detected, but it would rarely power on. It seems that physically shaking the
Jornada would sometimes cause the card to power on okay. However, it
typically lost power again within ten minutes or so. To clarify, this is a
problem with the Jornada itself -- not my card.

With this information, I had my father take it apart and look for anything
that might be obviously wrong with the device. Finding nothing, he put it
back together. After doing so, the card seemed to power on 1/3 of the time it
was inserted, but only for 10-20 minutes. A quick eject/insert would usually
bring it back after a try or two. If the jornada was left untouched over
night, the card would always remain powered through to the next day.

I'm almost positive physical use of the device (ie, a sudden jerk) was
indirectly causing the card to lose power. While using it last night, I tried
to click on a link with the stylus. This caused the card to lose power, and
now it fails to work 99% of the time -- again. The LED lights on the card
flash on and then off faintly when plugging it in, but that is all.

Do any of you know what might be responsible for this behavior, or if there
are any published documents on the internals of the Jornada that might
provide some insight into how I might correct this? Is it even worth
pursuing?

Thanks,
--
Travis Poppe