Subject: Binary packages for HPCARM/NetBSD 3.0?
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cyzyk <mcyzyk@comcast.net>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 06/05/2006 09:48:10
All,

(I've finally gotten NetBSD 3.0 up and running on my Jornada 720, with
the help of Jason Mitchell's very useful jinstall.gz file....)

Compiling software (using swap space on an NFS mount) is turning out to
be a nightmare.  One package depends on another package which in turn
depends on another which is itself dependent on a package which
ultimately fails the build process, breaking the chain all the way back
up.  (In my case, I can't for the life of me get Perl5 to compile...)

I am noticing that there are A LOT of precompiled packages for NetBSD
1.6 on HPCARM up on the NetBSD ftp site.  Does anyone know if/where
these same packages might exist, but compiled for NetBSD 3.0?   If there
were an archive somewhere of all this then we could just 'pkg_add' and
all would be well.

Also, has anyone noticed that you can't really reboot from within HPCARM
for NetBSD 3.0?  It boots back out to WinCE, and I don't know about you
but even then I have to take the battery out and put it back in to reset
the monitor to acceptable levels of brightness/contrast.  Then it's back
to hpcboot.exe, etc. etc.  Oh, also, I can't seem to contact the 'apm'
deamon on my system.  But I'm betting that this was something that just
wasn't toggled on when the kernel I'm using was compiled?

Mark Cyzyk
mcyzyk@comcast.net