Subject: Re: Requesting an updated in-depth tutorial on NetBSD installation
To: Tobias Jansey <kangawoosa@gmail.com>
From: Mark Kirby <mark@coris.org.uk>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 03/18/2006 10:22:14
On Saturday 18 March 2006 02:13, Tobias Jansey wrote:
> I appreciate the effort immensely, but I'd like a brand new,
> user-written tutorial that takes full advantage of what the new
> incarnations of NetBSD have to offer. Both of these articles are two
> years old. I'm looking for a Linux-specific installation method that
> teaches users not only how to install the NetBSD operating system on a
> Compact Flash card, but a little info on general use such as obtaining
> applications off the web, configuring X, and the like. Think NetBSD
> for Morons. Beyond the initial installation process, my goal is to
> have a simple setup, complete with GUI and basic PDA functions, that
> your average Joe Shmoe could use without too much trouble and a
> tutorial on how to reach exactly that.
>
> Sorry if I'm sounding a bit demanding. I just don't want this device
> to fall to out of date info now that it has a hefty load of brand new
> users. Long live the Jornada!

Hi Tobias,

Those docs Peter pointed you to are still relevent, the install procedure has
not changed.

However if you want a more recent tutorial i wrote an article for the NetBSD
wiki.

You can get it at
http://wiki.onetbsd.org/index.php/How_to_install_NetBSD_on_a_hpcarm

please note this configures swap on the flash card, you probably want to
disable swap all together (not sure how you do that but it can be done).

There is also the oreilly articles these can be found at:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/06/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/09/25/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

Thats as close as your going to get for an all in one tutorial from
installation to 3rd party apps installed.

You will need another machine that can build NetBSD from source. Linux will do
here is some info on how to get the NetBSD sources and get it built
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/part-compile.html.

As for getting full PDA functionality i don't think it is possible. The 720
has only 32MB of memory. NetBSD doesn't use much but X uses a lot. Also if
you do compile a program you can pretty much guarantee that the windows will
not fit on the screen.

As for configuring X you dont need to, just issue startx at the prompt and you
are away.

Hope that at least gets you started.

Mark
--