Subject: Re: Please help with testing jornada patch
To: None <port-hpcarm@NetBSD.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 02/27/2006 18:54:50
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 16:46:05 +0100, Peter Postma wrote:

> > In apm code you need to or in the charging status.  I.e.
> >
> >     if (j720pwr_get_charge_status(ctx) == 0)
> >         state |= APM_BATT_FLAG_CHARGING;
> >               ^^
>
> Yes, but then the apmdev code will never show it... see the
> if-else-if's in apmdev.c around line 902, maybe we should fix that?
> (to check for the charge flag first?)

Well, hpcapm claims to be APM v1.2.  APM v1.2 should set the flags.

What other code does is irrelevant.  If what that other code does is
wrong - that other code should be fixed (it's not that easy b/c our
apm api doesn't support APM 1.2 it seems).  My point is, don't write
code that "depends" on bugs elsewhere, if you code is right, only the
bug needs to be fixed, if your code tries to be "helpful", the bug
*and* your code needs to be fixed.

> > Oh, and why don't report actual percentage instead of doing in 10%
> > steps?  (c.f. j6x0pwr)
> >

> With a formule? That's how it's done in the current code, but it
> doesn't work very well. You can see this in the battery_table, the
> difference between 100 and 80 percent is only 10, but the difference
> between 40 and 20 percent is 70.  I've got the values from checking
> when the status changes in winCE and then quickly boot to netbsd and
> check the value there.

For 680 I thought that reporting %age is more useful than reportin in
10% steps, even if it's non-linear.  May be we can do linear
interpolation if we want the values to better reflect time remaing vs
charge remaing?

SY, Uwe
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen