Subject: Re: RFC: cleaning up j720ssp.c
To: None <port-hpcarm@NetBSD.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 02/27/2006 00:39:11
--eSuk7cb4xGx9LvKi

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:28:21PM +0100, Peter Postma wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:49:52AM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > I have the conversion ready.  I'm waiting for the hpcmips part to be
> > tested, and then I'll commit.
> >=20
>=20
> I saw that you've committed the changes... thanks.
>=20
> I've updated the j720pwr.c and tested it and it seems to work fine now.
> Patches are updated and available at the same place.
>=20
> I had to make a small change to hpcapm.c, removing the include
> machine/autoconf.h. I don't think that will affect the other hpc ports
> but I'll cross-compile them to be sure.

I think it's a left over;  it probably was needed for struct
mainbus_attach_args, which of course is not used anymore.

> And there's a minor compatibility problem... the apmdev device uses
> a different major number from the apm device, so users will need to
> create a new device node. I've created a new major file

Hum, no.  Just use the same major as before.

> (hpcarm/conf/majors.hpcarm) for this (arm/conf/majors.arm32 didn't feel
> right). A new apm binary is also required to query the status.

I'd rather have a MI definition for hpcapm.  But we'll still need a
definition for compat_30 anyway.

Why would a new binary be required?  AFAICT, the ABI doesn't change.

> So maybe this should be noted in src/UPDATING and/or -current-users.

I don't think we have a compatibility problem.  I'll have to think more
about it though.

--=20

--eSuk7cb4xGx9LvKi

--eSuk7cb4xGx9LvKi--