Subject: Re: RFC: cleaning up j720ssp.c
To: None <port-hpcarm@NetBSD.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 02/21/2006 18:02:15
--iytlPraCFSCqrfnM

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 05:40:16PM +0100, Peter Postma wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 05:09:45PM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 04:22:41PM +0100, Peter Postma wrote:
> > > On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:07:02PM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
[...]
> > >=20
> > > Ok, so the XXX indicates that the config hook register should actually
> > > be in j720lcd.c but cannot because then sc !=3D sed1356_softc?
> >=20
> > Well, it could be because it wasn't/couldn't be tested on other similar
> > platforms.
> >=20
> > One thing I don't quite get in your patch though is the extra layer for
> > each objects.  hpckbd should attach directly to j720ssp;  the split in
> > different source files is fine, though.
> >=20
> > Your j720{kbd,lcd,tp} are only avatars of j720ssp, it doesn't make sense
> > to simulate devices at this point.
> >=20
>=20
> I've added the extra layer because the SSP port is part of the SA-1110
> and the keyboard, touch-panel, etc are connected to that port. To me,
> it maked sense to seperate it (the hpcsh port also does similar things).

The reason why hpcsh has j6x0* devices is because they attach to
agnostic devices which are generic for sh3 ports.  They're kind of
place holders, collecting the resources and distributing them to all
their potential children, whoever they are.  j720ssp, on the other hand,
is already specific to the Jornada 720 machine, so it doesn't have to be
agnostic.

--=20

--iytlPraCFSCqrfnM

--iytlPraCFSCqrfnM--