Subject: Re: Current port status on J720?
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/18/2006 12:13:51
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:23:49AM +0000, Michael Blatt wrote:
> Last question on this before I attempt the install on a VM to prepare
> the Jornada: how tight is 32MB RAM for NetBSD + X and a couple of
> rather basic apps? (mostly rxvt, dillo, and a lightweight WM)

When I was young, I did this (minus dillo, which didn't exist) with
8 MB, although on a Motorola 68030  CPU and with a 3 or 4 bit deep
planar framebuffer.

I upgraded to 12 MB and then 16 MB as soon as I could afford it.

The Motorola 68060 machine with 32 MB of RAM was fast, in comparison.

Now, Arm code might be bigger than 68060 code, but as long as you don't
expect supercomputer performance, you should be fine. However, you shoudl
REALLY REALLY use a really lightweiht WM - something like ratpoison or twm
would be fine :-)

	-is
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/