Subject: RE: Using Hitachi 4GB Microdrive
To: Richard Danter <richard.danter@ntlworld.com>
From: Jason Mitchell <jmitchel@bigjar.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/17/2006 15:07:48
Rich,

	You said the 4Gb microdrive came from an Ipod. Newer Ipod's (and other MP3
players) have microdrives with special firmware that doesn't allow them to
be used in handhelds. Something about being locked into ATA mode (which
Ipod's use) rather than PCMCIA mode (which is what handhelds and laptops
use). The symptoms are similar to what you describe. The revision of the
microdrive can tell you whether it's locked into ATA mode or not.

	The preceding was from memory, so forgive the inaccuracies. And as for
using a microdrive in the CF slot and a network card, I've used a 1Gb IBM
Microdrive along with a Socket low power ethernet and Cisco 340 wireless
cards in my 720 with no problem.

Jason M.