Subject: Re: Current port status on J720?
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Postma <peter@pointless.nl>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/16/2006 18:49:37
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:46:47PM +0000, Mark Kirby wrote:
> On Monday 16 January 2006 11:41, michael.blatt@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > First post here :-) but I've been reading the archives a fair amount.
> > I think we need a sort-of-centralised resource to summarise what works and
> > what does not on the Jornada 720. It is my impression that this is the
> > device most of us here are using.
> > Note that I haven't installed NetBSD on it yet, but I'll list what seem to
> > work, as well as missing information:
> >
> > 1. booting the base system works OK
>
> Yes works fine.
>
> > 2. battery status is inaccurate (too high), unless a certain patch is
> > applied (http://nedbsd.nl/~ppostma/hpcarm-apm.diff)
>
> I havent tired an apn enabled kernel yet
>
> > 3. is the battery life similar to that achieved under HPC2000, or more
> > along the lines of what Linux (Debian or Familiar) gets (IME 20% shorter)?

You can query it by typing 'apm'. I got the values by checking the status
in winCE and then quickly boot netbsd and query the status.

> > 4. when suspending, I assume we are "only" slowing the CPU down to 59 Mhz
> > like Linux does, since that seems to be imposed by HPC's presence on the
> > device?

No, "suspending" doesn't really work, only the screen is actually
turned off in "suspend mode".

> > 5. Xhpc works as an X11R6 server. Maybe the X config file could be shared,
> > to help users save time.
>
> There is no config file as far as i can tell.

And there's no config file needed at all.

> > 6. touchscreen: I could not see confirmation in the archives, but I assume
> > this works fine in X?
>
> Touchscreen works fine
>
> > 7. how much space is required for the base system + X11 (without any
> > apps)? I've read 512MB could get tight with more than a couple of apps,
> > and 256MB would be pushing it.
>
> 512MB will be big enough for NetBSD + X and a few apps
>
> > 8. is the support for PCMCIA roughly the same as for other NetBSD ports,
> > i.e. is the J720 PCMCIA reader functional under NetBSD?
>
> PCMCIA support is the same for other ports

But please note that the pcmcia bus is only 16-bits wide.
32-bits (cardbus) cards will not work.

> > Anything I've missed out or forgotten, especially things that do not work
> > at the moment?
> >

> The on off key can be a bit tempermental at times.

Yes, sometimes it just doesn't work... I noticed that increasing timeout
to 500000 in j720ssp.c:j720ssp_readwrite solves this, but I've no clue why
a longer timeout is needed for the power button.

> Sound does not work, other than that it seems to work ok.

And in addition, the modem and irda also don't work.

--
Peter Postma