Subject: Current port status on J720?
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: None <michael.blatt@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/16/2006 11:41:50
Hi all,

First post here :-) but I've been reading the archives a fair amount.
I think we need a sort-of-centralised resource to summarise what works a=
nd  =

what does not on the Jornada 720. It is my impression that this is the  =

device most of us here are using.
Note that I haven't installed NetBSD on it yet, but I'll list what seem =
to  =

work, as well as missing information:

1. booting the base system works OK
2. battery status is inaccurate (too high), unless a certain patch is  =

applied (http://nedbsd.nl/~ppostma/hpcarm-apm.diff)
3. is the battery life similar to that achieved under HPC2000, or more  =

along the lines of what Linux (Debian or Familiar) gets (IME 20% shorter=
)?
4. when suspending, I assume we are "only" slowing the CPU down to 59 Mh=
z  =

like Linux does, since that seems to be imposed by HPC's presence on the=
  =

device?
5. Xhpc works as an X11R6 server. Maybe the X config file could be share=
d,  =

to help users save time.
6. touchscreen: I could not see confirmation in the archives, but I assu=
me  =

this works fine in X?
7. how much space is required for the base system + X11 (without any  =

apps)? I've read 512MB could get tight with more than a couple of apps, =
 =

and 256MB would be pushing it.
8. is the support for PCMCIA roughly the same as for other NetBSD ports,=
  =

i.e. is the J720 PCMCIA reader functional under NetBSD?

Anything I've missed out or forgotten, especially things that do not wor=
k  =

at the moment?

Thanks,

Michael