Subject: Re: Few niggles with installation on jornada 720
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Postma <peter@pointless.nl>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/10/2006 18:42:40
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 04:20:53PM +0000, Mark Kirby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed current (and current X) on to my jornada 720. I seem to
> be having a few problems. I'll list the steps i took to get it installed and
> then the problems im having.
>
> 1st i disklabeled my 1gb kingston flash card setting up a dos partition, a
> netbsd partition and a swap partition. That all worked fine.
>
> I then did a ./build.sh -x -m hpcarm distribution and installed that on the
> flash card. I ran postinstall and ran the commands it suggested, then coppied
> the build.sh built /etc over to the flash disk. uudecode'd hpcboot and copied
> that over aswell as the new kernel. I created a symlink on / pointing to
> netbsd on the dos partition.
>
> I then noticed that the MAKEDEV script didnt exist so i copied those over and
> built my devices.
>
> I set my rc.conf up and booted up the jornada.
>
> It booted up fine with the japanese option.

Someone should recompile the ARM hpcboot, then it should also boot with
the "normal" Jornada 720 option.

> Now my problems.
>
> On boot syslog complained that authlog, cron, xferlog, lpd-errs and mail log
> were missing.
>
> root obviously had no password at this point and non of his user files
> (.cshrc .login etc) were present.

These files should be all in the set etc.tgz (and also MAKEDEV) when
you use ./build.sh release.  I think installing is much easier by using
the release sets.

> Is there a command to create them? In the end i coppied them from another
> system.
>
> The permisions on /tmp were wrong, only root had read write access. chmod 777
> fixed that.
>
> X as root is fine but i cannot start it as a normal user. It just complains
> there are no screens available.

Did you've used tar -p (or cp -p)?  This will preserve file permissions
(then you should be able to run X as normal user -- Xhpc needs suid).

> also the ctrl key in X does not work by default i had to add
> clear control
> addcontrol = Control_L
>
> to xmodmap.

I believe there were more keys not working, I ended up with the following:
http://www.pointless.nl/~peter/jornada/xmodmap
I'm not sure if this is all needed.

> X also switches the screen of after 10 mins regardles of whether im typing or
> not.

It's very annoying... use 'xset s off' to turn it off.

> If anyone knows what i have done wrong with setting it up i would appretiate
> any help as i plan on writing this up for the new wiki.

See also this useful paper:
http://2004.eurobsdcon.org/uploads/media/EBSD04_37.pdf

It was written for hpcsh but most applies to hpcarm as well.

--
Peter Postma